To protect your home from electrical fires, it's a good idea to follow a few simple tips. Don't use electrical cords or appliances that have exposed, old, or otherwise faulty wiring. Don't place electrical cords under rugs or fasten them with things like nails or staples. Don't put anything but a plug into an electrical outlet. Don't put too many plugs in an electrical outlet. Turn off lights, stereos, TVs and other electrical equipment when you're finished using them. Don't try to 'fix' electrical appliances or wiring yourself.